This September is Childhood Cancer Awareness month.
In an effort to help raise awareness, 25% of sales this month will be donated towards The Kids' Cancer Project.
Always Gifts Candles has been a part-time-from-home business for several years. But for the past 3 years, I've been working at The Kids' Cancer Project and witness the incredible impact this organisation has made for kids with cancer by funding childhood cancer research.
Unbelievably, 70% of Australians are unaware that more kids die from any cancer than any other disease in this country.
This statistic doesn't surprise Tina, a mother of four from Townsville QLD, whose son Orlando was diagnosed with cancer three years ago. "People are oblivious to childhood cancer," said Tina. "It sits in the too-hard basket. People think 'it's not going to happen to me'. Read more about Orlando
- Cancer kills more kids in Australia than any other disease.
- More than 950 Australian kids are diagnosed each year.
- 3 children are diagnosed with cancer in Australia every day.
- 3 children will die from cancer in Australia each week.
- Childhood cancer is different from adult cancer.
- Childhood cancer doesn't discriminate.
The Gold Ribbon:
- Gold is a precious metal and represents the precious lives lost to childhood cancer.
- Wearing a gold ribbon is symbolic of solidarity and unity with all children and families affected by the disease.
- You can order Gold Ribbons online here
The Sydney Opera House goes gold
For the first time, the Sydney Opera House turned its sails gold to mark the start of Childhood Cancer Awareness month on 1st September 2017. Hundreds of families attended a candlelight vigil in honour of children who are currently going through treatment, remember the daily struggle of those who have survived, and of precious lives not lived.